Monday, March 21, 2016

Blog Post: 3/18/16

I am finally back in America after spending just a little bit over a month in France. Wow, what a trip! I learned so much during my time with Dr. Godart and really reenforced my want to become a medical professional (however, not in rural areas). I realized how often rural doctors are forced to work and was shocked by the sheer number of patients and problems she had to face on our daily basis. 

Now that I am back I will embark on the second part of my research project which is studying the different mechanisms of American urgent care and the patient care it creates. I really wanted to just compare the habits of these two practices and found that this type of medical care would be best to compare to rural medicine. This comparison will allow me to really gain a full, well-rounded picture of what exactly rural medicine entails not only for the patients but also the doctor.

I, also, think its important to understand the trends that are happening in both urgent care in large cities (such as Phoenix) and in rural medical care. In urgent care, more and more doctors are pouring into these emergency departments because it seems exciting and fun whereas more and more doctors are pulling away from or leaving rural areas because it is too much work. Also, medical students are opting to not go into rural medicine because they think it will be boring. However, it really isn't at all with different patients coming about everyday with different complex problems to solve. 

So, anyway, today I am meeting with a doctor who I will shadow through urgent care and will be able to observe her moves and tactics for care. She will be my most direct link to American urgent care and I am super excited to work with her in her medical center. Lets hope it all goes well! 

Thanks all of you for reading. I loved my time in France and hoped you could experience some of it through my blog posts. I'll tell ya'll how the other shadowing goes. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made it home safely, and I can't wait to hear about the next part of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience and are back in Arizona! I think this second half of your project will be fascinating as you will be able to compare/contrast rural medicine to urgent care in America. What do you think will be the biggest differences between the two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear that you learned so much from your experiences in France, and that you will begin the second part of your project here in Arizona! Based on all your experiences so far, what do you think will be the greatest differences between the American and French urgent care system?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about your adventures in France. You are back in Arizona now, and you can concentrate on the second part of your research project. I am looking forward to learning more about your interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an insightful and in depth analysis of the medical field in both rural areas and big cities. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip--that's great--but what a shame about realizing how hard and often those doctors have to work. It is good to know there are people willing to do that, but it sounds like hard work!

    ReplyDelete